- Chuyên mục: VAWA & SERVICES
- 08 03
- | Lượt xem: 1539
A young boy came to VAWA to present the following issues:
- Homeless youth
- Disability support pension
- Intellectual disability
He was living with parent and sister but sometimes he had difficulties in relationship with sister and father. Therefore he had wanted to move out.
He had a youth allowance but required to get the disability benefit for his medical conditions.
He dealt with the PTSD after a terrible car accident last year.
VAWA took actions to respond his requirements:
- Rang the local Youth Accommodation Services to ask the shelter for him but there was no vacancy and put his name in a waiting list.
- Advised him to read advertisements of house for rent in the local newspapers. One day later, he came back with some Vietnamese newspapers. VAWA helped him to read ads in Vietnamese language for his choice to rent a house.
- Contacted with Social Worker at Bankstown Centrelink to ask for his disability support pension. Filled a form for that.
- About his symptoms of PSTD: VAWA understands that PTSD is a mental illness which can develop after a traumatic experience. With this boy, a few days after a car accident, he often had nightmares about the event. He said that the sights and sounds of the accident haunt him all the time. He had trouble sleeping at nights and during the days he felt irritable. He refused the TV programs that show a car chase or accident scene and did not want to go anywhere near the site of the event. He also had anger and irritability, depression and hopelessness, phobias and anxieties.
To help him to overcome the bad intellectual conditions, VAWA advised him should go to the counselling services to look for appropriate support, visits the local mental health professionals and especially, goes to see the GP (General Practitioners) to diagnose his disease and get the antidepressants that may help him to fell less sad, alone or worried.
VAWA followed up this case week after week and very surprised with the unbelievable results that this boy achieved after only a few months: his mother rented a new place for them, Centrelink accepted his disability pension and he has felt a better life with a three year apprenticeship. His symptoms of PTSD have reduced. VAWA sends congratulations to him.